17 July: today's birthdays
- Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten - German philosopher. He wrote Ethica philosophica and Aesthetica
- Miguel Ángel Britos Cabrera - Uruguayan soccer player
- James Cagney - American actor
- Erle Stanley Gardner - American lawyer and writer. He created the fictional character Perry Mason
- David Hasselhoff - American actor
- Wojciech Kilar - Polish classical and film music composer
- Louis Lachenal - French climber
- Georges Lemaître - Belgian priest, physicist and astronomer
- Michael Manniche - Danish former soccer player
- Angela Merkel - Angela Merkel is the Chancellor of Germany and has been since 2005. She is the former leader of the Christian Democratic Party (CDU), after announcing she would not stand for reelection in 2018 and that she will also not stand for reelection as chancellor in 2021. She is regarded as holding considerable power in the European Union and is represented as the de facto leader of the union.
Prior to becoming a politician, Angela Merkel was a research scientist, with a PhD in quantum Chemistry.
The correct pronunciation of Angela Merkel in German is Ahn-ghe-lah Mehr-kle.
The "e" -Mehr is pronounced like the "e" in the word merry, while the -kle is pronounced like in the name "Markle", as in Meghan Markle's name.
- Michela Moioli - Italian snowboarder
- Camilla Parker Bowles - Duchess of Cornwall, wife of Prince Charles of Wales
- Donald Sutherland - Canadian actor