06 September: today's birthdays
- Bruno Bauer - German philosopher and theologian
- Andrea Camilleri - Italian writer and screenwriter, born Andrea Calogero Camilleri. He created the fictional character Inspector Salvo Montalbano
- Idris Elba - Idris Elba is an English actor of both British and Sierra leonean citizenship. He was born with the name Idrissa Akuna Elba in Hackney, London from Sierra Leonean and Ghanian parents. idris Elba is best known for his roles in the series The Wire and Luther and as Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela in the film Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. He is highly acclaimed, having won a Golden Globe and being nominated for another three, alongside his five Primetime Emmy nominations. He has also starred in the Thor and Avengers Marvel movie franchises.
The correct pronunciation of Idris Elba is Ih-dris Ehl-buh. His first name, Idris is pronounced with a short "i", which produces an "ih" sound. His last name, Elba, is pronounced with two open vowels, which are pronounced with an "eh" (or short "e") sound and with an "uh" sound respectively.
- Wilson Greatbatch - American engineer and inventor of the Pacemaker
- Julien Green - French writer born to American parents. He wrote The Dark Journey and The closed Garden
- Naomie Harris - English actress, born Naomie Melanie Harris. Her mother is from Giamaica and her father from Trinidad
- Pedro Kamata - Angolan-born French soccer player
- Moses Mendelssohn - German philosopher of Jewish descent
- Dolores O'Riordan - Irish singer and songwriter, frontman of rock band The Cranberries
- Robert Pirsig - American writer and philospher, born Robert Maynard Pirsig. He wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values
- Felix Salten - Hungarian-born Austrian writer
- Geert Wilders - Dutch politician, the leader of the Party for Freedom (PVV)