28 October: today's birthdays
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - Iranian politician, 6th President of Iran
- Francis Bacon - Irish painter
- Bill Gates - American entrepreneur and computer expert, born William Henry Gates III. He is the co-founder of Microsoft along with Paul Allen
- Ben Harper - American musician and singer-songwriter
- Bruce Jenner - Former American gold medalist, now Caitlyn Jenner
- Caitlyn Jenner - Former American gold medalist, formerly known as Bruce Jenner
- Joe R. Lansdale - American writer, screenwriter, comics author, and martial arts expert, born Joe Richard Harold Lansdale
- Camille Muffat - French swimmer
- Joaquin Phoenix - Joaquin Phoenix is a Puerto Rican-born American actor, producer and musician. His full name is Joaquín Rafael Bottom. He played Commodus in Gladiator and starred in Two Lovers, In The Yards, and Walk the Line. He also starred as Joker in the eponymous film directed by Todd Phillips in 2019, for which he won an Academy Award for Best Actor in 2020. Phoenix has also been the recepient of numerous other awards, including a Grammy and two Golden Globes.
The correct pronunciation of Joaquin Phoenix's name is Hoh-ah-keen Fee-Nix. His first name is Spanish, therefore the "J" is pronounced with an "H" sound. The "quin" in his name is pronounced like the word "keen" and must be stressed given that there is an accent "i", which corresponds to the "ee" sound. His last name, fortunately, is easier to pronounce, and is pronounced like the city of Phoenix.
- Eros Ramazzotti - Italian musician and singer-songwriter. He was married to Michelle Hunziker
- Julia Roberts - American actress and producer. She won an Oscar for her role in Erin Brockovich
- Jonas Salk - American scientist, bacteriologist, and virologist. He developed the polio vaccine
- Evelyn Waugh - English author of satirical novels, travel writer, and journalist, born Evelyn Arthur John Waugh. He wrote Black Mischief and A Handful of Dust