19 June: today's birthdays
- Ayman al-Zawahiri - Egyptian Islamic extremist
- Aung San Suu Kyi - Burmese politician. Aung San Suu Kyi is a human rights activist in her country, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, once known as Burma. Myanmar has been oppressed by a harsh military dictatorship, after a coup d'état in 1962.
Aung San Suu Kyi is the Chairwoman of the National League for Democracy, the political party she founded in 1988, in order to fight for freedom and democracy in Burma.
Aung San Suu Kyi was under house arrest for many years, sentence that had the only purpose to block her political action. In 1990, the National League for Democracy, guided by Aung San Suu Kyi, won regular elections, but the regime cancelled the results and sentenced her to house arrest, in order to prevent her becoming Prime Ministre of Myanmar
Aung San Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.
Listen to the correct pronunciation of Aung San Suu Kyi
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari - Nepalese politician, 2nd President of Nepal and the first woman to hold the office
- Derek Boshier - English painter, sculptor and photographer
- Francisco Buarque de Hollanda - Brazilian singer-songwriter, guitarist, composer, and writer, best known as Chico Buarque
- Bjørn Daehlie - Norwegian cross-country skier
- Hugh Dancy - English actor
- Jean Dujardin - French actor and comedian. He won an Oscar for Best Actor in 2012 with the film The Artist
- André Glucksmann - French philosopher and essayst. He wrote A Child's Rage, The Discourse of Hate, Stupidity, and The Master Thinkers
- Charles Gwathmey - American architect
- Helmut Herzfeld - German artist
- Radovan Karadžić - Bosnian politician and psychiatrist of Serbian descent
- Francesco Moser - Former Italian racing cyclist
- Blaise Pascal - French philosopher, mathematician and physicist
- Salman Rushdie - Indian-born English writer. He wrote The Satanic Verses and Midnight's Children
- Kevin Schwantz - Former American motorcycle racer
- Luis Recaséns Siches - Guatemalan philosopher
- Kathleen Turner - American actress. She starred in Peggy Sue Got Married and Prizzi's Honor
- Rafael Sebastián Guillén Vicente - Possible identity of Mexican revolutionary known as Subcomandante Marcos