01 August: today's birthdays
- Hafizullah Amin - Afghan politician, 2nd President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Demián Bichir - Mexican actor, born Demián Bichir Nájera. He starred in A Better Life and in The Hateful Eight directed by Quentin Tarantino
- Pierre Bourdieu - French philosopher and sociologist Les Héritiers, Les étudiants et la culture and La Reproduction
- William Clark - American explorer
- Correggio - Italian painter born Antonio Allegri, best known as Correggio
- Marcus Plínio Diniz Paixão - Brazilian soccer player
- Alessandro Faiolhe Amantino - Brazilian soccer player
- Giancarlo Giannini - Italian actor and film director. He starred in the film Seven Beauties (Pasqualino Settebellezze)
- Montague Rhodes James - English writer, historian and medieval scholar. He wrote Ghost Stories of an Antiquary and More Ghost Stories
- Ko Un - South Korean poet, writer, playwright, and painter
- Jean-Baptiste Lamarck - French naturalist, biologist and chemist
- Mancini - Nickname of the Brazilian soccer player Alessandro Faiolhe Amantino
- Herman Melville - American writer and poet. He wrote the novel Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, dedicated to American author Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Sam Mendes - English film director and screenwriter, born Samuel Alexander Mendes. He won an Oscar for Best Director, in 2000, for his film American Beauty.
In 2020, he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director, Best Picture and Best Original Screeplay for the film, 1917.
- Yves Saint-Laurent - Yves Saint-Laurent was French fashion designer who was born in Algeria and is the name of the French luxury fashion brand of the same name. The brand was founded in 1961 and is now simply known as Saint Laurent. Saint Laurent produces both men and women's clothing, hand bags, jewellery and fragrances.
The correct French pronunciation can be phonetically transcribed as Eve Sen-Low-rohn. The -low part of the pronunciation is slightly shorter version of the word "low", where midway through the "w", you begin to pronounce the -rohn part. The "R" here is the gargled French "R" followed by an open "O", like in the unit of measurement, "ohm".
Fashion quotes by the most famous fashion designers worldwide and the pronunciation of their names
- Jordi Savall - Catalan musician, composer and conductor
- Bastian Schweinsteiger - German footballer