17 September: today's birthdays
- Anastacia - American singer-songwriter, born Anastacia Lyn Newkirk
- Émile Augier - French poet, writer, and dramatist
- Anne Bancroft - American actress, born Anna Maria Louise Italiano. She won an Oscar for Best Actress in 1963
- Joe Bastianich - American restaurateur and television personality of Italian descent, born Joseph Bastianich. He is one of the four presenters of Masterchef in Italy, with chefs Carlo Cracco, Bruno Barbieri, and Antonino Cannavacciuolo
- Tomáš Berdych - Czech tennis player
- Kyle Chandler - American actor, born Kyle Martin Chandler
- Nicolas de Condorcet - French philosopher, mathematician and political scientist
- Phil Jackson - American basketball coach and former player. He couched the Chicago Bulls and the Los Angeles Lakers
- Catherine Kousmine - Russian-born Swiss scientist
- Baz Luhrmann - Australian film director, screenwriter and producer. He directed William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!, and Australia
- Narendra Modi - Narendra Modi is an Indian politician who has served as Prime Minister of India since 2014. His full name is Narendra Damodardas Modi and he is from the state of Gujarat, where he served as Chief Minister from 2001 to 2014, before becoming Prime Minister.
Modi is a Hindu nationalist who leads the right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party. Modi is a controversial figure because of his frequent suppression of protests and freedom of speech; he has consequently caused the erosion of democracy in India. However, Modi is a highly charismatic and energetic figure, creating a sort of cult of personality.
The correct pronunciation of Narendra Modi in Gujarati is Nah-ren-drah Moh-dee. His last name, Modi, is pronounced with a soft "o" and with the "i" that sounds like an "ee" sound, without an accent on the end, as heard in the audio pronunciation.
- Guy Picciotto - American singer, songwriter, guitarist, producer, and sound engineer, born Guy Charles Picciotto. He is the guitarist and vocalist in the Fugazi band
- Frédéric Pierrot - French actor
- Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann - German mathematician and physicist
- Bryan Singer - American film director, screenwriter, and producer, born Bryan Jay Singer. He directed the film Bohemian Rhapsody