14 June: today's birthdays
- Alois Alzheimer - Alois Alzheimer was a German psychiatrist who was the first to study the neurodegenerative disease, presenile dementia, which was later called Alzheimer's disease. Symptoms of Alzheimer's include memory loss, confusion and the impairment of language capabilities.
The correct pronunciation of Alois Alzheimer in German can be transcribed as Ahl-ois Ahltz-eye-muh.
The "A" at the beginning of Alzheimer is an open "ah" sound while the "R" at the end of Alzheimer is silent because in that position in German it is often not pronounced. A closer approximation of that sound is similar to the "Ai" sound in the word "air", minus the "R", which is not heard.
When adding the possessive apostrophe and "s" to the end, as in Alzheimer's disease, the pronunciation of Alzheimer remains the same, but the possessive is strictly English and is pronounced as you normally would.
- Che Guevara - Argentine revolutionary, born Ernesto Guevara de la Serna
- Nilmar Honorato da Silva - Brazilian soccer player
- Charles-Augustin de Coulomb - French physicist
- Diablo Cody - Pseudonym of English novelist and screenwriter Brook Busey
- Louis Garrel - French actor
- Francesco Guccini - Italian musician and singer-songwriter
- Yasunari Kawabata - Japanese novelist, Nobel Prize in Literature in 1968
- Tanoh Kpassagnon - American football player from the United States who currently plays as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Karl Landsteiner - Austrian-born American biologist and physiologist
- Serge Moscovici - Romanian-born French social psychologist
- Francesco Rutelli - Italian politician
- Aleksandr Sokurov (Alexander Sokurov) - Russian film director
- Donald Trump - American entrepreneur and 45th President of the United States
- Adolf Vorwerk - German entrepreneur. He founded Vorwerk in 1883, a company specialized in household appliances, especially vacuum cleaners