03 January: today's birthdays
- Christophe Castaner - French politician
- Mel Gibson - American actor e film director, born Mel Colmcille Gerard Gibson. He directed Braveheart in 1995, winning two Oscars: one for Best Director and one for Best Picture
- Jean-Louis Koszul - French mathematician
- Sergio Leone - Italian film director and screenwriter. He directed A Fistful of Dollars and Once Upon a Time in America
- Helen Parkhurst - American educator and writer. She founded the Dalton School in New York in 1919
- Florence Pugh - English actress who was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the movie Little Women.
- Michael Schumacher - Former German racing driver
- John Sturges - American film director. He directed Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape
- Greta Thunberg - Swedish activist working to stop global warming and climate change who founded the School Climate Change Movement.
She was born Greta Tintin Eleonora Thunberg Ernman.
Greta Thunberg was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, a form of autism that presents patterns of behaviour including intense preoccupation with a single subject and directness in style of interaction but without compromising intellectual ability (and in some cases it can also present heightened cognitive abilities).
- J.R.R. Tolkien - John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, English writer, poet, philologist and linguist born in South Africa. He wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
- Eric Voegelin - German-born American political philosopher