16 August: today's birthdays
- Bob Balaban - American actor and film director
- Menachem Begin - Israeli politician
- Charles Bukowski - German-born American poet and novelist, born Heinrich Karl Bukowski. He wrote Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness
- James Cameron - Canadian film director and producer, born James Francis Cameron. He directed the film Titanic, which received 14 Oscar nominations and won 11 Oscars
- Steve Carell - American actor and comedian, born Steven John Carell
- Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone - American singer, actress, and producer of Italian descent. She is better known as Madonna
- Albert Cohen - Greek-born Swiss novelist
- Jean de La Bruyère - French writer
- Krisztina Egerszegi - Hungarian swimmer
- Georgette Heyer - English novelist
- Jules Laforgue - Uruguayan-born French poet
- Mitch Landrieu - American lawyer and politician, born Mitchell Joseph Landrieu. He is a member of the Democratic Party
- Marcelo Alejandro Larrondo - Argentine soccer player
- Moussa Sissoko - French professional footballer
- Taika Waititi - Taika Waititi is a filmmaker, actor and comedian from New Zealand and is of Maori descent. He is also known as Taika David Cohen. Cohen is his mother's surname, which he initially used for film and writing endeavors and Waititi is his father's surname, which he used for visual art work. He then began solely using his father's last name.
He is the director of Jojo Rabbit, which received a 2020 Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture as well.
The correct pronunciation of Taika Waititi in Maori can be transcribed as Thai-kah Why-tee-tee. When pronouncing both his first and his last name, the accent is on the first syllable and must be stressed.
- Wilhelm Wundt - German psychologist and philosopher, one of the fathers of Experimental psychology