9 August: today's birthdays
- Robert Aldrich - American film director. He directed What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Dirty Dozen and The longest yard
- Gillian Anderson - American actress, born Gillian Leigh Anderson. She was the FBI Special Agent Dana Scully in the TV series The X-Files
- Eric Bana - Australian actor, born Eric Banadinović. He was Bruce Banner in the 2003 film Hulk
- Willian Borges da Silva - Brazilian footballer
- Bob Cousy - Former American basketball player
- Jack DeJohnette - American composer, pianist and drummer
- Eileen Gray - Irish architect and designer
- Whitney Houston - American singer and actress
- Albert Ketèlbey - English pianist and composer, born Albert William Ketelbey
- Michael Kors - American fashion designer
Fashion quotes by the most famous fashion designers worldwide and the pronunciation of their names
- Jean Piaget - Jean Piaget was a Swiss psychologist who is known for his pioneering work on child development and for his study of the origins of knowledge, known as genetic epistemology. His works have had a huge influence on the entire field of developmental psychology, education and the study of intelligence.
Piaget was from Neuchâtel, a Francophone region of Switzerland from two French-speaking parents. His surname is also of French origins, making the French pronunciation the right way to pronounce his name.
The pronunciation of Jean Piaget is Szahn Peeah-szeh.
The "j" in Jean and the "g" in Piaget are pronounced in the same way. Here it has been transcribed as "sz" for a lack of better alternatives. However, they are both pronounced exactly like the "s" in the word "pleasure". In "Piaget", the "i" is pronounced with a long "e", or "ee", followed by a short "a", an "ah" sound. While phonetically it may seem like they are two separate syllables, in fact, it is a single syllable with an abbreviated "ee" sound, as you can hear in the audio pronunciation. The final "et" is not pronounced with an "ay", like in the word "bay", as is commonly heard by English speakers, but it is pronounced with a short "e" or "eh" sound.
- Romano Prodi - Italian economist and politician, 52nd Prime Minister of Italy
- Audrey Tautou - French actress, best known for her role in Amélie (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain)
- Tyson Gay - American athlete