This particular version of fruits cooked in wine is from Piemonte (Piedmont) in Northern Italy and it is traditionally made with pears.
• 2 cannella (cinnamon) sticks broken into pieces
• 4 cloves
• 1 large limone (lemon) sliced
• 6 large pere (pears) peeled and cut on the bottom so they will be able to stand on the plate
• 2 cups of caster zucchero (sugar)
• 2 cups of Barbaresco or other tannic, full bodied dry red wine, e.g. Nebbiolo di Langa or Roero, or port
• Wash and dry the pears.
• Bring the wine to a boil, with the sugar, the cloves, lemon and the cinnamon.
• Add the pears and cook covered for about 45 minutes, at a steady boil, taking the lid off every now and again to check the level of the wine, which should cover the pears. You can always add a little acqua (water) if necessary or more wine.
• When the pears are cooked transfer them to a platter with a slotted spoon.
• Discard the lemons.
• Reduce the syrup by half, strain and set aside.
• Divide pears and syrup among plates and serve.
Back to Luciana Sampogna menu